Cucumber, eggplant and okra – these are my favorite summer vegetables. Today, I am introducing “Yamagata-dashi”, a local cuisine from Yamagata prefecture, Japan. Although it is a simple dish with just summer vegetables and soy sauce, it tastes so good with rice. I also love to eat this dish with good tofu, noodles, or salad. If you can get your hands on some Myoga (Japanese ginger) then please add it to give the taste a bit of a kick.
Here is the recipe, it is almost too easy so let’s try!!
- 1 small Italian eggplant
- 1 or 2 Mini cucumbers
- 2 or 3 Okra
- 2 inches Mountain potato (optional)
- 1 Myoga (optional)
- 2 to 3 Shiso leaves (optional)
- Minced ginger (optional)
- White sesame seeds (to taste)
- Soy sauce or Shiro-dashi (broth based soy sauce) (to taste)
1) Cut the eggplant, cucumbers, okra, and myoga into small pieces, then soak them in lightly salted water for 5 minutes.
2) Slice shiso and ginger
3) Strain well the vegetables from step 1, then add shiso and ginger.
4) Add soy sauce or Shiro-dashi to taste, then mix well.
I usually use Shiro-dashi. If you can get the Shiro-dashi, please try with it. It should be so tasty!