Let's Try Making Tofu While You're Cooking Something Else

Let's Try Making Tofu While You're Cooking Something Else

I realized that the preconception that homemade tofu is troublesome is false. Aside from waiting for it to cool down, you can complete up to Step 13 in an hour.

Ingredients: About 430 g of tofu

Dried soy beans
350 g
Water for soaking
1200 ml
☆ Water to add later
1000 ml
Magnesium chloride
7 g
Water to dissolve the magnesium chloride
2 tablespoons


1. Rinse the soy beans, put them in the soaking water, and leave in the refrigerator for a day.
2. Pulverize the soaked soy beans in several batches until the soy beans are finely blended. If you don't blend them well enough, you'll end up with lots of okara, and the tofu may be crumbly.
3. Bring the ☆ additional water to a boil in a large pot, then add the blended soy beans from Step 2. Simmer it for 7 minutes over low heat while keeping an eye on the pot to make sure that it doesn't boil over. While it simmers, stir it up from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
4. Put a sieve or strainer over a pot or bowl, and line it with a double layer of cotton gauze. Add the Step 3 mixture 1/3 at a time, and press out the liquid until there's no more left in the cloth. It's hot, so use a wooden spatula while pressing.
5. After you've pressed out 2-3 batches, cool your hands under cold water, and then thoroughly squeeze out the last drop with your hands. The pulp left in the cloth is called "okara". Pressing out the liquid is the hardest part of the process.
6. I got 600g of delicious looking okara If you use a coarse mesh cloth instead of fine gauze, you'll get 530g of okara that looks even nicer!
7. Put the magnesium chloride in water, lightly mix to dissolve, and let sit for a while.
8. Warm up the soy milk that you strained in Step 5 to 70-80 °C. Turn off the heat when a film (yuba) is just about to form on the surface (or has just formed).
9. Stir the nigari (magnesium chloride) into the warmed soy milk from Step 8, lightly stir with a spoon, and leave it for a while. It will separate as shown in the photo.
10. When it starts to separate, cover with a lid and let it sit for 15 minutes.
11. Put a sieve or strainer on another pot, line it with cotton gauze, and carefully pour in the Step 10 liquid.
12. When a lot of the moisture has drained off as shown in the photo, wrap the gauze around its contents, and squeeze it very gently, making sure the contents don't spill out. Push the tofu to the center of the cloth as you wrap the cloth around it.
13. Put the filtered product wrapped in gauge into an appropriately sized container, then place it upside down on top of a drum sieve or flat sieve. Do this over a plate to catch the liquid that may drip out.
14. Put the whole thing in the refrigerator to chill. Once the tofu sets, take it out of the cotton gauze, and leave it in cold water for a while to leech out the nigari. Now you can enjoy it.
15. Eat the tofu within 2 days or so. Change the water it's soaking in once a day.

Story Behind this Recipe

I can't buy good tasting tofu, so using other user's recipes as reference, I came up with a recipe for an easy-to-make amount for a lazy person, such as myself.